View Single Post
Old 02-10-19, 06:20 PM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
I am a big believer in ERVs. Condition the house and an ERV allows ventilation without pulling in humidity.
S.H.: You may want to review the operational theory of both HRVs and ERVs. I think you meant to say HRV, as the ERVs employ a semipermeable membrane that keeps the from losing moisture.

This is from Venmar, they manufacture both HRV and ERV:

Quote:

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN HRV AND AN ERV?

Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV):
The heat recovery ventilator (HRV) is the proper choice in colder climates where there is excess humidity during the heating season, since it can eliminate it.

The HRV keeps the home supplied with a steady flow of fresh outdoor air. As stale, warm air is expelled, the heat recovery core warms the incoming fresh, colder air before it is distributed throughout the home.

The result is a constant supply of fresh air, no unpleasant drafts and greater home comfort.

Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV):
The energy recovery ventilator (ERV) is suitable for colder climates, in homes where there is no humidity excess during the heating season, as well as for warmer climates homes with high outdoor humidity.

The ERV recovers heat (like the HRV); however, it also recuperates the energy trapped in humidity, which greatly improves the overall recovery efficiency.

In conditioned homes, when it is more humid outside than inside, the ERV limits the amount of humidity coming into your home.

For homes using a humidifier, whit low humidity level in winter, the ERV limits the amount of humidity expelled from your home.
URL: https://www.venmar.ca/23-detail-faq-...d-an-erv-.html

Best,

-AC