View Single Post
Old 05-10-15, 08:55 AM   #8
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
I've been using a small drywall keyhole type saw when cutting against the grain of 2" XPS but when I'm cutting with the grain I'd score each side with a box cutter and then snap it. The snap is clean but if I try to use the box cutter against the grain it breaks up the foam and doesn't cut well so I use a keyhole saw for that.

I wish I knew the putty knife trick because that sounds slick. I ended up making a big mess in the basement when cutting my sill plate foam plugs but it wasn't too big of a deal with a shop vac on a concrete floor.

On second thought I'm curious if buying one of the bigger style pizza cutters(large enough to go all the way through the foam you are cutting, not the tiny ones) and sharpening a good knife edge to it would be a good way to do this.
Yeah, just like a supermassive olfa tool. Just make sure to go fast enough and with lots of downward pressure.

Another easy way is the mighty Rotozip. A shopvac hose placed close to the messy end helps grab the chips and.dust.before they fly away.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote