View Single Post
Old 03-01-16, 12:20 PM   #553
buffalobillpatrick
Master EcoRenovator

MMT,

Even though Outside Design Temperature is reached very seldom, we who must obey the IBC, have to design systems for that temp.

My house has Propane for heat, at 8500' altitude, ModCons don't condense as much up here, and when it gets cold outside the LP isn't cooperative.

Boiler manufactures usually state heat output at IBR & DOE
IBR is lower by about 15% from DOE, IBR assumes boiler room heat is lost (not inside heated space) DOE is higher as it assumes that the boiler room is inside the heated space & isn't lost.

All 3 ModCons that I have installed (1 is neighbor buddy's) have had intermittent ignition problems. I have and use an expensive combustion analyzer to set mixture.

My 1st ModCon was a Heat Transfer Products Voyager, it had a tank so it was self-buffering, they also make the Phoenix & Polaris models.

I lived with that noisy blower, igniter eating, fail to fire, POS for 10 years. HTP NEVER AGAIN

2nd modcon that I still have in my house is better (Triangle Tube Solo 60) but still has issues.

I have 3 zones in my house & the TT couldn't modulate low enough at 50* outside, so it would short-cycle.

When it did it had problems with E02 Errors (fail to ignite) and if it would ignite it would make a loud foghorn noise. Many owners have reported these problems, worse at high altitude & on LP.

TT support is of no help as they know that they have these design issues & don't help DIY home owners.

I solved these problems by configuring system as I described above, so it never short-cycles, but it don't modulate as it is in DHW mode, & condenses very little at start of run.

From now on, it's Cast Iron boilers for me, vs ModCons , CI cost much less, are more reliable, last 3-4X longer, with much less maintenance $$

Last edited by buffalobillpatrick; 03-01-16 at 12:54 PM..
buffalobillpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buffalobillpatrick For This Useful Post:
Mobile Master Tech (03-01-16)