View Single Post
Old 11-27-15, 06:38 AM   #1820
stevehull
Steve Hull

Just re did calculations for Reynolds number (predictor of turbulent conditions) in each of the loop fields Len spoke of above. Here 0.75 inch internal diameter at 3 gallons per minute of water flow.

The velocity of a flowing fluid in such a diameter pipe (0.75 inch; 0.0195 M) is 0.66 m/sec.

Using Rn = [Velocity (m/sec) x pipe diameter (m) x density (kg/m3)]/dynamic viscosity (kg/m.s)

Rn = (0.66 x .0195 x 1000)/1.004

Rn = 12.82

This is also way below the critical Reynolds number for turbulence (typically must be 2000 - 4000).

To get turbulence (Rn = 2,000) the flow rate of 3 GPM would have to be 156 times higher - or about 468 GPM - clearly impossible in a pipe of this diameter.

The important bottom line here is that straight pipes lead to laminar flow conditions with the exception of inlet, abrupt turn and exit conditions.

I have toyed with running HDPE pipe through a machine that creates dimples inside the pipe. That would minimize the laminar boundary flow conditions and should increase heat flow markedly.

BTW, I guess I may be wrong on turbulence in the supply and return pipes! As a proper engineering disclosure report would have it, the calculations suggest a distinct laminar flow situation, but physical measurements in the pipe field would confirm. However, the mechanical energy to supply this exchange bed with water flow also suggests laminar conditions.

Steve