View Single Post
Old 07-20-20, 07:03 PM   #9
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
You use the contactor (a very heavy duty relay) to switch the water heater, then you use a smart plug to switch the contactor. Not having an outlet nearby makes things slightly more complex, really just needs an extra fuse to tap off a little power for the smart plug. It would probably be easier to use a "Sonoff Basic" which is designed for hardwired applications. Now you have a networked switch for the water heater with decent software.

Or just get a 220v contactor that has 220v primary coils and a 220v sonoff. Then no need for another outlet. Just use the hotside of the waterheater feed.

What I find curious is why couldn't you put the inducters on the wires inside your panel. I have never seen an instance where that would be an issue unless it is a tiny little 60 amp panel.
Units like this used to be very common in the restaurant industry. Every old Wendys still has the leads inside the main distribution panel. They abandoned using the systems as they didn't save any $ and just generated an ongoing cost to operate.
One of the dumb parts of the energy code even requires lights near windows to be on a separate switch so they can be turned off during the day... Yeah like any business is going to turn off those lights when it's bright enough. If they do then there will be a lawsuit from someone stubbing their toe on a chair and they will win because the restaurant turned off their lights and did not provide adequate lighting.

Having usage data is great but we already know what to do. Datalogging just just confirms what your changes have made.

As for the temp at 82*... I'd go nuts cause I would never get any sleep.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elcam84 For This Useful Post:
skyking (01-17-21), Wanna Beco (07-21-20)