View Single Post
Old 03-09-17, 10:51 PM   #28
oil pan 4
Land owner

I needed a much larger than normal 56 inch belt to connect the 2hp 4 pole motor with 6 inch pulley to the compressor. It came in and I finally tested it.
The motor inrush full power starting the compressor and motor together is about 17 amps.
That's a huge reduction from the 2 pole 2.5hp motor that was hitting 45 amps on start up.
Free spin starting the motor hits 14 amps.
Free spin starting the motor with resistors is hitting 10 to 12 amps. But I have not tried all my methodsto reduce starting amps like trying a slightly smaller start capacitor or different resistance values.
When I engage the clutch on the motor running at full speed to the unloaded compreasor the motor only surges up to about 6 amps.

Compared to go cart clutch starting the go cart clutch start hits about 110 to 120% of unloaded starting amps. Which works pretty good for only changing one $50 or $60 part.
Only thing is the go cart clutch comes in one size, 3.2 inches which doesn't work real well with most 4 pole motor setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBertsc View Post
The armatures of induction motors are not designed to work in excess of 6Hz more time spent below about 3,300rpms will build extra heat in the rotor.
This soft starter appears have terminals for the start circuit so I'm guessing it's on a timer to prevent burning out the start cap.
I know I said that on post #2.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote