View Single Post
Old 05-29-15, 09:56 PM   #16
Xzeption
Lurking Renovator

I gave it a trial run with a few hand towels and it works! I used tension rods in the box to hold up the towels. Due to space I overlapped them some. The parts that were not overlapped were completely dry. Now I have my shopping list of more tension rods, a scale, and possibly a thermometer to get solid data.

Eventually I will post a picture and description of the cheap cabinet I made. In the meantime here are the specs for the dehumidifier I got.
Kenmore model 106.57500790
rated at 50 pints / 24 hours (and possibly better depending on circumstances)
R-22
7.4 amps

The dehumidifier cycled on/off every ten minutes or so (I ran it for an hour total). It was pulling only 64 watts when the fan was on and the compressor off. When the compressor was on it steadily increased to maximum 1030 watts. I suspect the short cycling was due to a temperature gradient in the cabinet where the cold air stayed near the bottom with the dehumidifier. I could feel warm moist air slowly escaping the cracks in the top of the cabinet. Next I plan on giving it a try with a fan inside the cabinet to circulate the air.

I wish my country would switch to the metric system. My apologies to international readers who see me jump between metric and imperial units.
Xzeption is offline   Reply With Quote