View Single Post
Old 09-22-11, 08:21 PM   #10
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
What does it take to connect PEX to copper as if I switch the pipes over to this I would go from the tee by the hot water tank on the cold side and just after the tank on the hot side. (After running new three wire electric on that side of the pipes.)
If you YouTube soldering copper pipes I'm sure some good videos will come up, it's pretty easy, there are connections that adapt from whatever size copper right to whatever size PEX you have, the shark bite fittings at Home Dept cost a bit extra but the nice thing about them is they don't require any tools other then a pipe cutter and they don't require soldering skills so replacing one section or run of pipe with them is going to be cheap, plumbing a whole house is going to cost a lot.
like I said, I really like the PEX because it takes less time for hot water to get to the tap, my house is a duplex and the upper kitchen and bath were really bad, hot water to the upper kitchen used to go through over 60 feet of 3/4" iron pipe, taking over two minutes to get hot water and it would cool off as soon as you turned the tap off, I replaced it with a 25 foot section of 1/2" PEX and that is the best part, it's a single piece of pipe from the basement to the tap, no elbows or splices, you run it like electrical wire, snake it around bends.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote