View Single Post
Old 02-10-20, 11:25 PM   #20
Ralph III
Lurking Renovator

Hello All,

I just wanted to chime in on this as there are numerous other recommendations not mentioned within the thread. So for future reference.....

1. You should use a trap to get rid of rodents (squirrels/rats) and not poison. If you use poison they will eat it and then die somewhere within your house which could stink quite badly and for a long period of time.

2. After removing the rodent you should seal off their entrance with wire mesh of some sort.

3. You should remove all of the rodent droppings that you can find and/or any soiled insulation. Otherwise, the odor will attract future rodents.

4. You may consider spraying ammonia or fox urine it the attic. This will help get rid of the rodent odor and can also act as a deterrent. There are other recommendations in this regards so research it.

5. You may consider leaving the attic light on. I'd recommend an LED type because it creates very little heat and they use very little electricity. Many rodents don't like bright lights.

6. Yes, a radio in the attic playing loudly will discourage rodents from moving in or cause them to move out.

I'm not a pest control person but I've had to remove squirrels and rats from personal rental property as well as work. They can cause a significant amount of damage and create hazards by damaging electrical wiring.

Good luck,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 02-12-20 at 05:44 PM..
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote