View Single Post
Old 07-06-11, 10:46 AM   #5
tomboy mom
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
This is my first year trying the Armenian cucumbers. The other slicers and picklers are declining in the heat but the Armenians are now going to overdrive. They're putting on all kinds of new growth and lots of fruit - always tender and mild and bitter-free. I think they're a keeper in my garden.
i so love the armenian cucumber! these plants are unbelievable. we've been up to 116 already and they don't even wilt. it's the only cucumber that we'll bite into without bitterness trepidation. my kids like it because it's one of the few plants we have that can be harvested without fear of pokes. this is the first year i've grown it too. did you know it's actually a melon?

have you tried to pickle them? i haven't ever pickled except to cut up cucumbers and put them in the left-over store-bought dill pickle juice for a few days. since those 2 plants are going crazy i was thinking about trying to make pickles. not sure how melons pickle.

what else has tolerated heat well for you? i have a table queen acorn squash that was planted directly into the yard (fairly poor soil) that is doing quite well. it does not require a lot of water. i would like to find more things that will grow in barely amended clay.

Last edited by tomboy mom; 07-06-11 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: to clarify pickle question
tomboy mom is offline   Reply With Quote