View Single Post
Old 08-01-10, 02:44 PM   #150
nw_guy
Lurking Renovator

It seems unlikely 2 units would suffer the same problem, but I suppose you never know. I can certainly understand not wanting to be without it again as well as swapping out a 200+ pound piece of hardware. At least yours is at ground level, my outdoor unit is on the roof!

You did a great job with the install--you certainly paid more attention to detail than a pro would have done with respect to mounting the units, etc. I like the "awning" as well.

And yeah, 20' is about perfect so it's unlikely it's overcharged by any meaningful amount.

As a side note, on the HVAC forums the "pros" frequent, if they even get a hint you're not a licensed HVAC contractor they basically tell you to "hire someone" rather than answering your question. Some of the forums even prohibit non-licensed users from asking questions related to DIY installs.

Obviously I can understand their desire to protect their job, but it's nice to find forums like this one where this stuff can be discussed openly with minimal bias. This stuff isn't rocket science (although superheat and subcooling do require some math and tricky measurements) or some magic art.

And, as another side note, there are a few split systems out there that come with precharged linesets and rather nice special connectors that are designed to connect under pressure with minimal loss of refrigerant. These connectors use machined fittings and O rings to seal and are likely far less likely to leak than the ancient flare fittings used on most systems. These systems are very DIY friendly, but they're limited to no-name and very expensive high-end systems that are difficult to get in the USA.

I honestly don't know why ductless split systems are not more common for residential use here? They can be very efficient, are far easier to install than ducted systems (with far less to go wrong), and are free of all the noise/security/mounting problems that window units have. Their only real downside is cost. They're the most expensive per ton of any option (excluding the cost of ductwork for ducted systems). But, as you've demonstrated, they can sometimes pay for themselves.
nw_guy is offline   Reply With Quote