View Single Post
Old 05-16-10, 12:52 PM   #146
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

It's mid-May and we are still using the heat once in a while..
This morning, it was about 68 inside, so we turned on the Sanyo and it was up to 72 in short order.

I've been watching the power meter while the Sanyo is off and I think
that I see a pattern in the parasitic drain..

I think it might be using the temperature sensor on the compressor,
to control power into the Crankcase heater.. Wanting to keep the oil
nice and warm, just in case.

The power usage varies between 30 and 60 watts.
During cooler days, it seems to hang in there at around 60w most of the time.
But, on a nice day like today, it's bouncing around between 20 and 50-60 watts.

Or, I could be way off base and what I'm seeing is just noise inside
the breaker box. I doubt the current probe has any shielding..

I'll have to wait until a really hot day, and leave the Sanyo off,
in parasite mode and watch the power use again..

When the weather gets a tad nicer, I'll likely just open the breakers
and remove the parasitic drain altogether.

I was just checking around, and it seems the DOE is interested in Crankcase heaters in standby mode too.
(But they don't like inductive pickup test equipment)..

DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY

"2.8Electrical power and energy measurements. a. Use an integrating power (watt-hour) measuring system to determine the electrical energy or average electrical power supplied to all components of the air conditioner or heat pump (including auxiliary components such as controls, transformers, crankcase heater, integral condensate pump on non-ducted indoor units, etc.). The watt-hour measuring system must give readings that are accurate to within ±0.5 percent. For cyclic tests, this accuracy is required during both the ON and OFF cycles. Use either two different scales on the same watt-hour meter or two separate watt-hour meters. Activate the scale or meter having the lower power rating within 15 seconds after beginning an OFF cycle. Activate the scale or meter having the higher power rating active within 15 seconds prior to beginning an ON cycle. For ducted units tested with a fan installed, the ON cycle lasts from compressor ON to indoor fan OFF. For ducted units tested without an indoor fan installed, the ON cycle lasts from compressor ON to compressor OFF. For non-ducted units, the ON cycle lasts from indoor fan ON to indoor fan OFF. When testing air conditioners and heat pumps having a variable-speed compressor, avoid using an induction watt/watt-hour meter."

Edit May 24:
The parasite mode is only using 30W on the hot days... It's 80F right now..

Last edited by Xringer; 05-24-10 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: more info
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote