View Single Post
Old 04-09-10, 02:00 AM   #8
AirSepTech
Lurking Renovator

Send a message via Yahoo to AirSepTech
Default Hang on a second

"So it's really not worth it. I'll look around for fridges. European environmental law forbids disassembling refrigerators, and the ones I see tossed into the woods are without compressors and heat exchangers"

This is what made me think of "auto" A/C---or heat pumps. The new stuff is 134a, anyone can purchase. It is fairly cheap, lots of parts to hack from(USA)
All of the older A/C's, fridges, etc. are R22, pricey and you need documentation to purchase. Not hacker/DIY friendly.

The thread Mike linked was more about cooling, I see why they weren't to excited about it. Just mod an A/C unit.

Here's what I've found.

A 2004 F-150 puts out 32f off the evap, 160-180f off the condenser at 30f ambient, at 700rpm. Less?? at the compressor. It did start cycling pretty quickly as it didn't take long to drop the temp inside the truck. Seems like the right hack/combo might put out some decent heat.

Most of the evaps on home heatpumps are not over 120f, are they???

They are power hungry, 3-5hp(2-4kw) but I was thinking of using wind power with a hydraulic pump/motor combo. I get a lot of wind, and thought of "free" heat for my shop/basement. Maybe when I get retired.

For now, the 410A is not regulated, and probably just as easy/cost effective to hack/modify/experiment with, for me anyway.

Xringer has more knowledge of electric motors/apps than I do. I does seem to me there is a lot of "room" for ideas, with variable speeds, d/c, p/v, etc.

Depending on a specific situation, it could very well be "worth it". And much easier/simpler than the heavy electronics needed to "get it done" with the current available designs.
AirSepTech is offline   Reply With Quote