View Single Post
Old 08-01-15, 09:58 AM   #34
marx290
Vapor Compression Goon

Send a message via Yahoo to marx290

I'm also rather interested in getting some HC samples tested.

Looking for a high purity propane, I called and asked around Portland, finding mainly blank stares and confused people. I did eventually get a hold of an Airgas special gas salesman. He said he could get a 20lb tank of 99.5 percent pure, for about $220. Seemed kind of pricey, but then again maybe comparable to some halogen refrigerants (I don't buy 'em). I told him I would consider it in the future.

Personally, I'd rather spend that money on trying to clean up HD-5 myself. It appears there are some proven methods for removing the mercaptan and water, which I want to experiment further, but I'd like to try my hand at further separation of the gases. A fractionating column. I woukd think the ethylene and methane, even in small amounts, might cause some problems, since these are not likely to condense anywhere in a normal system. The butane and isobutane are going to contribute to some glide, I guess, and may not be too troublesome, but I'd like to remove them nonetheless; even if just for the challenge. Propylene has such a close boiling point to propane, that it will be hard to fractionate. It's probably the least of my worries though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
marx290 is offline   Reply With Quote