View Single Post
Old 06-16-15, 04:45 PM   #7
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I was up on the roof again today, and took what I had left of the solar screen with me.

I didn't have a big enough piece to entirely cover either of the two panes that make up the kitchen/great room skylight. So, I just put up what I had, using some black gaffer's tape to pin it in place.

Here's a photo from in my kitchen looking up. From left to right, it's direct sunlight, sunlight through the shade cloth, and then the wall shaded from the sun.

The area with the shade cloth is SIGNIFICANTLY darker than the direct daylight.

I really like the idea of a simple, removable exterior shade using this "solar screen" material. I'm not sure of the best way to mount it, especially on the kitchen skylight. The roof is 10/12 pitch, which means I can walk on it, but just barely. It would be relatively easy to lose traction and fall right off the roof.

So, a very simple way of attaching the screen, that DOESN'T involve too much time with me on the roof would be good.

At this point, I'm thinking about a light-weight wood frame that would sit on TOP of each of the two panes of the skylight.

The flashing on the uphill end of the skylight sticks up more than anything else, and might make a good point to clamp the screens to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote