View Single Post
Old 01-19-11, 01:16 AM   #12
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

WOW! You're serious about this. Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider3700 View Post
In the end he took all of my printouts and said he'd do some research but it would take awhile.
I wouldn't be surprised if it took him until the new, double-walled F379 came out

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider3700 View Post
I've been told the US requirements for double wall heat exchangers state that there must be 2 metal walls between any heat transfer fluids so your cases wouldn't work because the fluid in the tank between the two coils could contaminate and then contaminte the other coil should both spring a leak at the same time. Totally insane I know but still the law... no wonder noone cares about the rules in most cases.
The problem with '2 metal walls between any heat transfer fluids' is that it's so darned inefficient, not to mention more expensive.

If one of the walls in a double-walled heat exchanger corrodes, then no-one will notice (except for the HX's efficiency suddenly rising since it is now only single-walled). But in the system I proposed there is a greater chance of noticing contamination of the intermediate fluid before there are breaches in the heat exchangers on both ends. But, as we all know, law has more in common with politics and lobbies than with common sense...

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-20-11 at 01:28 AM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote