View Single Post
Old 07-18-13, 07:44 PM   #14
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
Something else , if the hubbie , wifey & crumb crunchers are away from the house in the day time , a second off cycle saves more , except on the weekend ( indicating a need for a somewhat / potentially more $$$ time clock that can be programed for a different schedule on the week ends ) .
Actually, building the 7 day programmable WH timer isn't all that expensive. Get a contactor with a 120V coil and 240V load side. Get a plastic project case to contain the contactor. Get the #95205 digital timer from harbor freight to operate the contactor. At this point, you might be in for $30, but you have an 8 On/Off digital timer.

I don't have crumb crunchers, but I am running an idea I found on waterheatertimer.org It uses an old Decora switch sized Intermatic 7 day programmable digital timer I bought from my local Habitat ReStore. I'm only using 3 of the 7 on/off cycles available. I still don't understand why most water heater timer manufacturers still use mechanical timing devices?

The HF digital timer I suggested above is actually more sophisticated than my Intermatic timer. The HF timer will do groups in addition to individual days, groups can be: MTWRFSS, MTWRF, MWF, TR, SS (M=Monday, T=Tuesday, etc). The Intermatic doesn't do groups of MWF, TR. I really need to get another one and gut the mechanical timer out of my sprinkler timer. I'm using that HF timer to cycle the dehumidifier in my garage.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote