View Single Post
Old 06-23-13, 11:13 AM   #53
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Nothing to be Gained by Doing Poor Work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
Been lurking here for a while. Seems to be a good group of people that like to engineer and build stuff instead of the common ones that think you can't do that...
Thanks for the information, all very useful.

However....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
...The Micron meter is nice but I have never once seen a tech use one or even have one.
So how do you know for sure that your vacuum pump actually is pulling the required vacuum? This is especially important to know if you have a used or borrowed vacuum pump. Also, how do you know for sure that all of your seals and hoses are really up to snuff? I am strictly an amateur, and since I have gotten a micron gauge, I use it all the time and the problems that I have had with bad hoses, seals and fittings would never have been apparent to me without the micron gauge... I would never have known that I was doing unacceptable work. Also problems with insufficient vacuum and insufficient water removal may not appear for a year or two... and then as shortened system life. This may not be important to a field tech, since it would mean more paying jobs. To an owner-installer, or refrigeration experimenter (hacker) there is nothing to be gained by doing anything less than perfect work.

I think you underestimate the importance of a micron gauge.

Best,

-AC