View Single Post
Old 11-04-11, 01:43 PM   #7
GoFish_Tony
Lurking Renovator

I've come to realize that my projects isn't all that different then many of yours (in one respect anyways...) And that is; it really come down to "efficiency vs practicality".

For me, I am in this to learn some basic fundamentals of collecting Solar and transferring that energy to heat. (Probably the simplest use of the Sun but still it befuddles me in how to do this in the most efficient yet practical way.)

I am patterning my Solar Heat Collector after what I have seen so many others do. It's simple and practical and I'm sure theirs all worked to some degree. But following their plans does little to help me in my education. I wish to learn as much as I can and improve upon their ideas. But I need your help.

OK, time for another question.

My first column of cans is temporarily installed between the Bottom Plenum plate and the Top. I will use some sort of adhesive/sealant where the corner of the downspout transitions to the round shape of the can. Inside these downspouts I have 11 cans stacked and taped together with adhesive backed foil tape. Each can has one end cut out, and on the other is a series of slots and fins. (Supposedly to create turbulence and to slow down the air so that it can get heated.)

My question is: Do I gain anything by filling these downspouts with cans, over just having one can at the top and one at the bottom?
I've considered even shoving steel wool 1/3 and again at 2/3 of the downspout length.

I believe there are many factors here that I don't fully understand. Like, time Vs heat transfer, material thicknesses, heat chambers and air flow.
My head is starting to spin. HELP!
(I don't mind experimenting, but would like to get at least one of these built ASAP. And I would like to get the first one as close to my design intent as possible.)

Thanks in advance for all your input.
More pictures and details at:
https://sites.google.com/site/tonysf...pop-can-heater

Tony
GoFish_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote