View Single Post
Old 12-07-15, 08:51 PM   #167
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I've been off the forums for a few days, just checked in and saw this. Wow, what a turnaround! Last week, Jake was ready to pull the trigger on a compressor of some sort. This week, it's consideration time: price vs performance vs warranty vs everything.

I can relate to the concern about the unknown. I can relate to the concern of buying new vs roll your own vs buying used. It's a good thing that he took a step back if he is unsure of his abilities, because (as Randy stated) this a big beast to slay. Totally different animal than something that will run off 120 Volts. When things go wrong, you may be bursting or torching a $500 component. This could happen more than once.

Nothing is without risk (as with buying a new car, house, etc.) but at least if you buy a new unit and have it commissioned by a certified Joe, you have a support network to fall back on. Once you enter the realm of used or pieced together systems, that support net is pretty much nonexistent. Noone will want to touch it if something goes wrong. Forget about the insurance company covering any damages.

However, to purchase a unit that will perform at the level that can be achieved by doing good research, careful selection, and some trial and error will certainly cost several times more than the raw materials. That five year warranty pretty much doubles the price alone. Any sophistication or added functionality adds up exponentially to the base price. When something goes wrong, especially with a ground source unit, the caliber of techs who know what to do with it charge much more for their time as well. The energy savings may or may not catch up to the increase in upfront investment for a decade.

So, for a $2000 rig that you call your own, you may end up paying 5 or 6 grand for an equivalent manufactured and installed unit. Now is the best time to decide what your peace of mind is worth.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote