View Single Post
Old 12-07-15, 08:41 PM   #166
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Randen, I'm not shooting you, I feel like the one being shoot here.

I know you have had hands on experience with vfds, and I have only read about them, but I have read where others have used them with tons of success. The rectifying bridge is only rated at a certain number of amps on the incoming side of the vfd, the single phase pulls about double the amps and therefore overloads the bridge. You must derate a vfd by doubling the size, (5hp to 10hp). And that is what I have done. Did you read the entire thread or just chime in on the last few post, because I discussed/linked all this already. The vfd is $300, and I just got dang lucky and got a 51k btu 3 phase compressor for $300. So total price is $600. That is an awesome deal.

Yep fire is very much so a danger. That is why safety sensors are a must. Though if the single phase has a breaker and the vfd starts pulling more amps, then the breaker should trip before something goes boom.

So you are saying that single stage vs variable speed will never save me $500 in my life time? That I just don't see. I will need less than half the rated size most of the year. It will take no time at all to save $500, plus easier on the compressor as Jeff's article said so I'm also saving on compressor replacement cost.

Why am I going to take a performance hit with R290? I have 410a available if need be.

I already bought the coaxial coil from buffalobillpatrick, and it will have all the needed sensors as well.

Again your analogy really doesn't do this project justice. I have NO ferry, you just said your self that now is not the time to buy and that the ferry units are hard to find around here. So I should blow another $500 bucks on firewood this year in order to save on a factory ferry unit that will be just about as hacked as the project I'm building? That doesn't make sense to me.

Your opinion DOES matter, I just am stating what I believe to be fact based on well documented work.
Shalom