View Single Post
Old 11-29-15, 01:54 PM   #141
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Jeff, I am in the middle of redoing a lot insulation and fixes that the house needed when built. It was built in 1986, with R13 walls with Styrofoam and weather wrap. The ceiling are blown fiberglass, and about to be reblown to R39ish. But I have about 500 square feet of 17 feet tall vaulted ceiling where there is only about R22 on the slopped part of the ceiling (almost impossible to fix without TONS of work). The house is a total of 2,300 SQF with 300 SQF added on and 440 SQF in the upstairs.
I am adding radiant barrier to all the rafters and radiant double bubble to the knee walls upstairs and on the vault. I have been cutting down on air leaks (built on a slab) and will do a air exchange test when I'm done. I got the thermal seek camera to help locate cold/hot spots and have found a few. Like the chimney, about 100 SQF was toally uninsulated. The windows are old but I put rigid foam on the back bedrooms that we do not use during the winter and have put reflective film on all the windows that get summer sun. So though things will be better insulated BUT there was an extra 300 SQF added on (enclosed garage), so I really think that 3-4 tons is in the ball park.

jeff5may (11-29-15)