View Single Post
Old 07-07-13, 08:25 AM   #14
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I'm confused now. I reread the thread and it still didn't help. So I have some questions.

1. Are you planning on this heat exchanger? The link you provided was dead:

B3-12A 40 Plate Universal Beer Wort Chiller [HX1240BWC] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

This bphe isn't rated for the pressures you intend to put through it. Design pressure is 145 psi. Way lower than r410a pressures and half r22 pressures. However, it just might work at r12/r134a/butane pressures. Check out surplus city liquidators dot com, they have turbotec turbo-flow coax coil exchangers for dirt cheap.

2. Are you planning on using r410a or an r22 equivalent? I see you bought a r410a unit. Running it at r22 pressures would bring you down to refrigerator-capacity range. This would amplify your pumping and fan energy usage compared to overall capacity. Add in an electronic control system, and the "pwm resistor/bulb heater", and sensors, and valves, and...whatever else. Even if you went with hyper-efficient individual components, they would still most likely add up to more than the original, low-tech unit fan.

3. What refrigerant does the prius use? The ejector-driven plans I've seen use mainly carbon dioxide. An example:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...40700710002720

I understand how the inventors have achieved a huge level of efficiency gain using CO2 as a refrigerant. The pressure levels and compression ratios are orders of magnitude higher than hydro(chloro/fluoro)carbon-based systems, so there is a definite advantage by splitting the low-side pressure flows. But with the lower compression ratios associated with r12/r22/r410a systems, there is not as much potential energy to be split in the low side. The potential for energy savings is still there, it's just not so large.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to poke holes in your project. In fact, I find it very amazing and captivating. A lot of this design research is above my level: although I can understand the theory behind the basic design, when valves and controls and such are thrown in I get lost in the details. I hope you can bring your system to life and look forward to witnessing you progress in that direction.

Last edited by jeff5may; 07-07-13 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: more words
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote