View Single Post
Old 08-29-14, 04:30 PM   #28
Ormston
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
So when you say "batton" you mean the same thing as a spacer?

I'm really curious about 'air-space' requirements for various insulations, and what the rationale for a particular requirement is. I know that air is a good insulator. I also know that if the air space is too large, air currents can begin 'self pumping' and seriously reduce the effectiveness. Some folks have said it has to do with the wavelength of heat, but I did a calculation of the wavelength of unfra-red light, and the length of a wavelength is 700 nanometers (nm) to 1 mm, so it is very, very small.

So will your configuration have air gaps, between layers?

Yeah, me too. I went shopping yesterday at my local fabric warehouse, looking for some kind of very thin microfiber filler material, that was not dense and felted or closely woven. There weren't very many choices. But I did find almost exactly what I wanted, and it was fine, thin lambs wool filler material. Pretty gorgeous stuff, really (All the ladies at the fabric store kept saying, "you're going to do what!?"). So I bought enough to make a ten layer test piece that is 18" x 18".

I'm in the midst of a construction project myself (power tools and building debris are ruling my existence), so hopefully I'll be able to have my sample within a week.

Best,

-AC
AC
If you download the data sheet from the page you linked to a couple of posts back you will see what I mean about the insulation value in various constructions.
It looks like there multifoil is only a radiant barrier and still requires a more conventional type of insulation to tasked care of conduction.

Battons are just 2x1" lengths of timber used as spacers and so on.
Ormston is offline   Reply With Quote