View Single Post
Old 12-22-20, 11:14 AM   #45
solarhotairpanels
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleManLance View Post
I just checked out both your systems. very cool! On your drain back system, don't you need some sort of a vacuum break to get the water to drain back into the 6 gallon tank?
To answer your question YES...

Even though the water being pumped up to the collectors was returning to my drainback tank in the basement I added a T fitting and ball valve to the pipe entering the small drainback tank up on top. I then opened the ball valve just a crack to allow air to enter while water was draining back into the tank. By doing that the returning water returned much faster then without the ball valve air opening.

I also went up on the roof and installed a vacum break type valve at the highest point where hot water leaves collectors on route back to drain back tank. This valve allows a pinch of air into piping as water flows by but will not allow water to leak out. Just perfect for the application.

any other questions just let me know.
I love talking about all this solar stuff.

Thanks!

Please Note:
Comments and/or suggestions I make here at the forums on 'your' projects as well as my own have all been carefully and scientifically calculated by 'the seat of my pants'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by solarhotairpanels; 12-28-20 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: I added additional information to my previous post.
solarhotairpanels is offline   Reply With Quote