View Single Post
Old 02-16-10, 04:26 PM   #23
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

If I am going to mess around with solar, I should actually learn about some of this stuff.

A while back, I joined the MREA and signed up for the entry-level solar hot water class. Being a member gives you a discount on the classes.

I took a look at the on-line listing of available classes. Turns out there is a PV-101 class being held about a 40 minute drive away, two days from now.

I signed up for it.

Also, I have seen that the Xantrax C-40 is a pretty reasonably priced PCM charge controller. It will handle 12,24, or 48V battery packs, and has a Voc input of up to 125V. For $125, I could buy one (no display or anything on it) add my own analog ammeter, voltmeter, etc. and be ready to go.

If I later wanted to invest in a fancy MPPT charge controller, the C-40 could then be used to charge a 12v pack with some of the other small PV panels I have kicking around. I could even mount it in my camper!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote