View Single Post
Old 03-11-15, 10:58 AM   #7
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi,
I did a little more searching around on the IBC totes.

Talked to Hoover in Nebraska. Asked about using IBC totes for solar heated water storage.
He said that the lighter wall thickness blow molded IBC totes should be good for 120 to 140F.
And, that the thicker wall roto molded (3/8th to 1/2 inch walls) should be good for 140 to 160F.

Talked to Encore Reconditioned Totes | 275 Gallon Totes
Their website has an interesting video showing how they manufacture their blow molded IBC totes.

On asking them about using IBC totes to store hot water in solar heating systems, and what temperature should be limited to, they put me on hold, talked it over for a while, and came back with no more than 180F.

Not sure how much actual science or experience went into either of these answers. It would be nice to find a published spec for IBCs -- I suspect its out there somewhere. Or, better yet, someone who has actually used the totes for solar heat storage -- I'm sure its been tried before.

The other issue is life of the container when filled with hot water over a long period. I asked the Encore guy about this, and his response was that he had no idea -- when I said months or years, he thought maybe years.

I think that if I gave it a try, I'd set the high limit on the differential controller to 140F and see how that works out.

I did use a 300 ft coil of 1 inch polyethylene pipe as a heat exchanger immersed in an EPDM lined tank. I limited the temperature to 140F and had this in service for more than a year with no problems before changing it to a pex coil.

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryGary For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-11-15), gtojohn (03-12-15)