View Single Post
Old 01-29-13, 09:21 PM   #6
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi,
I have a 2.2 KW Enphase inverter system -- going on 3 years old.

Have not had any problems or failures.

At the time I did mine, the microinverters cost about the same as a single string inverter, and I liked the flexibility to add panels later, the separate MPPT for each panel, and the simple installation.

I've been happy with them, and have grown to like the web page they setup for you to get reports on the system. Their monitoring system (which is now free), also lets you know when any inverter is having problems -- kind of strange when you get an email from your inverter I've received a handful of notifications that something was wrong with the advice to just give it an hour and see if it clears itself -- it always has.

It gives you a separate power report for each panel/inverter, and I think this is useful -- for example, if you think power output for the system is down, you can look at what each panel is doing, and see the one that is causing the problem.

I like building stuff, but I'm not so good about looking after it after its built and doing the routine checks to make sure everything is still working, so the automated reporting including faults is nice for me.

The install is easy -- I did mine including permits and all -- the pictures here give an idea of what's involved: Designing and Installing a Grid-Tie PV System
There are some more DIY installs here: Solar Photovoltaic Projects Tie
In particular, take a look at "Doug's New 4.6 KW..." system.

While the micro-inverters make for an easy install, I don't think the string inverter install would be much harder.

I guess some places it can be a pain for permits and inspections and meeting utility rules, but here in MT its cheap, simple and fast. I was up and net metering a week after the system was finished.

Solar Today did a nationwide survey a few months ago on what people were paying for professionally installed systems. The US average was over $6 per watt (may have dropped a bit since). Places are offering pretty complete kits for less than $2 a watt. There will be stuff to add to the $2 per watt, but not a while lot in terms of $'s per watt, so, it seems like there is still quite a bit of money to be saved for a DIY installation?

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryGary For This Useful Post:
Korol (04-04-15)