View Single Post
Old 07-30-18, 12:57 PM   #7
u3b3rg33k
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I imagine there are very few people who want to match their AC output to solar output. 99.999% of the market wants their AC output to match the thermal load.

I could see it in a utility scale application for load shedding/demand control, but there they would simply switch batches of units on/off rather than scale up/down the individual unit outputs.

take a look at ice energy's ICE BEAR units in California. the utility can turn them on/off of compressor operation to shift demand to suit the grid. the end user still gets thermostat controlled AC.

now if you were doing energy storage, i could see using a a VFD 0-10V input based on solar output to avoid needing large batteries. but as for on-demand operation, instantaneous solar conditions are not typically the demand metric.

someone on here has a thread for a VFD driven 3 phase 3 or 5 ton water to water unit. i believe it ramps down to match the load/motor ratings. you could take that logic and add on a demand variable, secondary to the needs of the mechanical/electrical requirements.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote