View Single Post
Old 10-13-10, 12:32 PM   #28
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

One way to reduce the numbers of squash bugs is to catch and destroy the overwintered squash bugs (and their eggs) when they first show up on your plants in the spring as this greatly slows down their population build up and the numbers of bugs later on in the season. Ditto for potato beetles on potatoes. I'm seeing the amount of disease and pest problems on my garden drop as I build up the levels of micronutrients in the soil, (and also on me as I eat the plants grown on this soil, see truehealth.org for this microelement effect on human health). The wild type cherry tomatoes (Matt's Wild Cherry) will set fruit even in the hottest weather and they prolifically self-sow, so I have been eating these cherry tomatoes from mid-May until whenever the first frost arrives even though I never planted a one.

Now that it is cooling off, I am seeing self-sown seedlings of lettuce, carrots, parsnips, komatsuna, arugula, radishes, and kale popping up everywhere in the garden. Also potatoes, garlic, onions, and wild garlic are coming up from leftover tubers and bulbs. In addition I have been planting lettuce, radishes, cabbages, collards, broccoli, arugula, corn salad, and other cool season plants. Also I have planted some cool tolerant tomatoes, that (along with the potatoes) will overwinter under cold frames for late fall/early winter harvest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by basjoos; 10-13-10 at 12:42 PM..
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote