View Single Post
Old 04-15-13, 04:54 PM   #8
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

No updates. I had a tenant move in and they brought the full furnishings of the place they were already living into my furnished house. Need to get rid of couches and I have no workspace to build the frames. I have gotten a bit lost looking for what to use as wood frames. I was going to use whatever was cheap and dimensionally large enough to hold the stretched plastic but found out that the wood expense is higher than I'd like. Seems the best deal might be 1"x2" dimensional(3/4"x1.5" actual) 8 foot furring strips for 75 cents each. The trouble is that wood is racked terribly at the local lumber shops so not much of it is straight but I should be able to cherry pick for the good stuff.

I'm also not sure if I'm going to have the tenant wanting to open the windows or not, I prefer to leave them shut once our high dew point summer starts and opening the windows adds tons of moisture to the house so if she opens them, I might see an increase in cooling costs versus leaving them shut as the a/c tries to remove all that latent cooling load. Since the winter season is supposed to be over, I might focus my efforts on 90% solar blocking screen at this point to reduce the summer cooling load and return to this in the fall. This is also put on hold a bit more because I don't currently have access to a table saw, the person who has one currently has it tucked away in the shed for the winter so he can use the garage to keep the snow off the cars.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote