View Single Post
Old 08-07-14, 08:32 AM   #17
ICanHas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
Multispeed PSC motors don't save as much money on "low" and buyign a smaller single speed pump. Currently running a 1/4HP pump on my own pool (uses 250W) for (2) 4hr shifts per day.
The motor the thread starter is talking about doesn't change the speed the same way as low/med/hi tapped PSC HVAC fans or shaded pole table top fan motors.

This motor's the real deal true sped with 2 pole/4 pole windings with industrial motor standard rating. A well made AC motor is quite efficient. The motor runs at constant RPM for each setting.

I'm looking in the catalog and I see these specs. You might find them to be strange specs, but fan law will tell you that cutting the fan to 1/2 the speed drops the GPH to 1/2 and (1/2)^3 =1/8 the horsepower requirements, hence 1:8 split.

0.75hp/3450RPM 230v 6.0A@1.67 SF
0.10hp/1725RPM 230v 1.0A @1.67 SF

Those amps are at maximum allowed overload conditions.

I guessed the PF, but I did it so on the conservative side. These motors are heavy and use copper generously, so they're not cheap.

1/6hp @ ~67% (PF at 0.9)
1 1/4 hp @ ~75% (PF at 0.9)
These are plug-to-shaft efficiencies. Not bad for something this size. It's at the 67% overload given in the specs, and they're more efficient when they're not overloaded, so you'll probably get closer to 80% to the shaft.

AC motors are very reliable, tough and they don't create harmonics. Adding a VFD will just make it much more susceptible to surge damage, reduce efficiency and induce high levels of harmonics into the line. You don't need controlled ramp or a bunch of in between speeds for a pool pump. You'll lose another 10% or so of kW going into it in conversion process in the VFD box.

Why the over load rating on motors? It's so you can size it for continuous use at 3/4hp, but have the ability to handle increased load from cleaning attachments and such without the need to actually oversize the motor. It will handle an overload up to 67% for quite some time without issues.

If you run a 3/4 hp VFD with and you overload to 1 1/4 hp load for more than a few seconds, it will let the smoke out.

Attached picture shows you how a common air handler fan is made multi-speed.
Attached Images

Last edited by ICanHas; 08-07-14 at 08:46 AM..
ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ICanHas For This Useful Post:
stevehull (08-07-14)