View Single Post
Old 06-14-11, 06:24 AM   #45
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by munter View Post
I now have a mixed source supply for our toilet cisterns. The schematic is much like a manual version of the schematic posted by Tango Charlie. Instead of solenoids, I simply use ball valves. Our plumbing code requires double check valves to ensure no backflow as well as a check valve to make sure the mains water doesn't go back up through the pump and into the tank. The outlets are connected to the toilet cistern and the clothes washing machine. I have noticed very few drawbacks to using rainwater as a source. We are getting through about 100L/day of rainwater, most of which is inside the house.
We cannot do that, no matter how many check valves. It MUST be a cistern solution, water entered into a tank, before a pump. After the rainwater pump, no pipes may connect physically, whether check valves, or any other control ..

I am working on an idea of cleaning the water further, using a fine filter as well as UV light in the rain water tank.

One solution could be a "cistern" at the top of the shower. Then hot mains water can enter this cistern together with cold rain water, in a way where it cannot mix (partly open cistern). This "cistern" would have an opening underneath, so the water would free flow through many smaller holes.

Mixing the hot mains water (solar heated) with the rainwater would provide much less limestone (if any), and you can still regulate the temperature by changing the flow of the hot mains / cold rain water ...

Taking it even further, if I could find a way to make instant heating of the rainwater using stored solar heat, but it must be in a way where it does not get too complicated. And it should run automatically.

I would not even be concerned using rainwater as it is, for showering (no filtering at all), except for the steam from the water could carry possible ecoli bacteria into the lungs. Hence the UV light and fine filter.