View Single Post
Old 11-25-11, 03:44 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
We've had tax rebates and incentives on solar for what, 5 years or less? and solar manufacturers who have been around for the last 30 years... I don't see this as being an issue...
I was at a solar installer's conference about 4 years ago, and I came to understand how devastating the capricious nature of tax rebates and incentives is to that industry.

There are a lot of people who go into the business, for all the right reasons, and invest some serious money and time so that they can operate in a professional manner... and then the incentives are withdrawn, and the market crashes, and people go broke, and become bitter and never look back. And all that preparation and capital is lost. Then at some point, the incentives reappear and the whole cycle begins again, with new people starting from zero.

I have come to have a very conspiratorial view of this whole mess. It would seriously be in the interest of existing power companies to perpetuate this whole disastrous cycle because it insures that no serious competition will become viable.

It's a real mess.

-AC_Hacker