View Single Post
Old 06-19-16, 08:11 PM   #4
RB855
Helper EcoRenovator

Welp, it was a lot dryer this afternoon, so round 2! Worked on the charge a bit, got the SH into target range but ended up with over 20* of SC, so the captube is too long. I have a txv perfect for the application sitting on my desk, so that will be going in on the next round, instead of fooling with captube tuning. Also, since it will have to handle fairly significant temperature swings it only makes sense. Started cutting up the housings a bit trying to come up with a decent ducting plan, and everything was going great. Then I went from 0 to full retard at light speed (see below, que suspense music).

Decided I will be going a bit more radical with the blower modification, but that will be another day when I have sheet metal on hand. At the moment, even at full blow, Im coming up short on airflow on both sides of the equation. That begs to question if the factory setup even had enough cfm. It also makes me wonder since the same evap motor is used on 9k and 12k, how am I under flowing on a 9k? The evap isnt so much of a mind as it will dehumidify better, and the condenser will probably come into spec once its flowing conditioned air instead of outdoor ambient.

A housing I cut up previously while brainstorming.

The thinking stage.

Full Retard... Never go full retard.

14 wires later... pretty significant time detour I was not expecting.

Way too much Subcooling, so the captubes too long, driving the high psi sky high (but still under amp rating). Superheat came in target, which is really high due to the humidity.

A side by side of a evaporator and condenser from same model units. The fin area is certainly different between the two. The evaporator has 36 passes, in a 3 row configuration, whereas the condenser has 34 passes in a 2 row configuration, but it has the added capacity of an 8 pass coil that sits in the condensate.

Got the suction line insulated and the compressor jacket on. Tried to take a video of how quiet it was, played it back, and realized you could barely hear it in the video over the mower on the next block over. These things normally howl due to the condenser fan. Might be next weekend before I get to mocking up the ductwork connections, and txv.

And heres one for anyone who wanted numbers.
RB855 is offline   Reply With Quote