View Single Post
Old 12-14-15, 07:27 AM   #10
stevehull
Steve Hull

Jeff, sounds like you are advocating some battery storage for well pump via PV. My problem is that the average current for the deep well pump is not too bad ~ 1.5 kW, but the kicker is the starting current. My clamp on meter has an "peak instant" setting and it looks like I need almost three times that average power to start the deep well pump.

Several years ago, I had a neighbor fry his deep well pump (similar size to mine) with a 2.5 kW Honda generator. He assumed that since average pump current was less than 2.5 kW that this size generator provided, he would be fine. The "autopsy" showed high current overload and burned out components in the pump.

One nice thing about my tractor PTO unit - especially the 80 HP one, is that there is a lot of angular momentum in the running unit (essentially a huge flywheel) and this PTO generator is capable of handling peak starting loads with almost no voltage drop. The same 15 kW PTO generator on the "small" 30 HP tractor showed a lot more starting flicker (voltage drop) when the deep well pump turned on. Voltage drops, such as these short transients, for long periods are really tough on many electrical appliances.

My water pump (water for livestock) is critical. That is why I have two deep water wells with one in reserve. A lot of cattle people do not appreciate the need for water. The worst outages occur in winter (ice storms) and cattle go out onto frozen ponds and fall through ice trying to find water.

I was planning to use microinverters (EnPhase) for the 10 kW PV system, but microinverters are a grid tied system. There are some string inverters with battery back up provision, but I can't find one that will start the deep well pump (enough peak power).

Lastly, I was reviewing home 15 kW sized standby generators (LPG) with automatic transfer switches. The Generac units seem to have LOTS of problems with the stators and basic design (lots of warranty issues that appear to have unhappy customers).

Kohler/Briggs & Stratton cost a bit more, but are far more highly rated. Anyone have comments on reliability of home standby units?

Thanks in advance.

Steve