View Single Post
Old 03-15-15, 01:03 PM   #3
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Since AC_H asked, I'll try to put together a complete thread as I get time.

To start with, I did have to get permits (another $1800 or so!!!) for the building.

I'll start with posting the plans. There is NO copyright on these, were my own, so anyone that wants to use any part or all is welcome.

Note that the evaluation spreadsheet in the plans was for permit cost purposes, the city jacked up the valuation to about 30K. I was able to get a LOT of the materials lower price or off Craigslist or Habitat reuse store, etc..

Example: The half moon window I the front - was originally going to use a 5 ft by 8 ft insulated glass picture window I got at a garage sale for $10. I Saw the fancy divided half moon window at Lowes marked down to $600 from $1600 as a special order that original buyer backed out on. Still too high. Watched it, and one morning I was in there, it got marked down to under $200 so snapped it up. Makes the whole front of the building a lot nicer.

All photos and files courtesy of building owner:
KevsCartoons.com

One pleasant surprise was the cooperation of building officials for the use of surplus materials - note the extensive background I gave on the building plans, that may have helped quite a bit. Also, the inspectors gave me hints on saving big $$, such as attaching the sewer to the existing building vs separate connection, another savings. Also the ability to use the 'crawl space' as a shop, but if ceiling under dwelling legal limit, did not count as square feet against the 800 sw ft limit for additional habitable structures on the property.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote