View Single Post
Old 09-28-14, 12:55 AM   #6
David
David

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Australian summers are typically hot and dry. It is early spring here.

I do not know what you mean when you say:

“The "cool" well water doesn't force the dewpoint of the air stream low enough to remove much moisture.”

Our heating bills are modest, as we seldom need to do much more than have the system on for a few hours in the morning and similarly at night. The ceiling insulation is rated R3.00 we are seldom cold at night. By morning it can be chilly but then the air conditioner kicks in. We tend to keep all doors closed. At other times particularly at night we often side by an open fire. Currently the wood from our now departed elm tree fuels this fire. The interior walls are hard plaster and I have replaced all of the ceilings (once ‘lath and plaster’) with plasterboard.

I am not sure if there is a difference between an ‘air handler’ and an ‘air conditioner’. Up and until you used the term, I had not heard the words “ air handler”. The term we use here is an air conditioner, I suspect they are one and the same.

I was thinking of making a grid of tubular steel or PVC through which I could pump my available cold water. I would think that a simple fan placed behind that would produce a cooling process to occur and an extractor fan in the ceiling could remove the humid air from the room.

I had not thought to introduce this cool air via the heating ducts.
The question is however how do I by-pass the gas fired heating unit.

I guess I will have to devise to accomplish your goal, something radical and "weird".

Hello MIKE SOLAR,

My house is 2/3 cement rendered. The remainder is coarse stucco.

The roofing is green colour bond zinc/alum. The on the inside a layer of sarking has been installed. This is silver on the side that faces the underside of my roof. This prevents condensation that might form on the underside of my roof from dripping down onto my fiberglass insulation.

Could you explain to me what you mean by the term “pump and dump” if the humiditiy is oK.

Thanks to you both,

Regards,

David
David is offline   Reply With Quote