View Single Post
Old 08-24-15, 02:43 PM   #5
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Yes I am using insulation, I get it free from a spa cover manufacturer, ano.ther source could be a SIPs maker
I take odd shapes and bandsaw them into cubes, and am very careful to be as air tight as possible, some of the fits are so tight that I have to press them into place slowly to let air escape. Then with the use of foam backer rod and spray foam I close up the areas, the first layer between the box beam trusses and blocking, is always one piece of 2 1/4" cut to fit, and glued at the edges, to encourage air sealing. The top layer will be a "skin" of epscrete to further stop air migration and to ensure there are no air gaps under the plywood roof sheathing. I have fire tested the material and found that it will not burn in the absence of flame, but does put out a pretty nasty smoke. For that reason I put in firestop blocking every few feet. Work is pretty much stopped today and yesterday, it is too smokey to work because of the fires. Visibility at about 200 meters.
A tip for anyone else in the thick smoke, turn on your furnace air, the filter will remove some of the smoke, especially if it is a charcoal type filter, at the suggestion of my daughter, I taped a furnace filter to the suction side of a box fan, and it is keeping us relatively clear of smoke in the living room and bed room.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote