Thread: DIY Spot cooler
View Single Post
Old 10-25-14, 07:42 AM   #9
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F357 View Post
That does not mean that an intelligent, non electrician person can not safely and correctly do electrical work, but some electricians will lead you to believe that. The fact is it is perfectly legal, safe, and acceptable to do your own electrical work in your own home, it is not legal to do your own A/C work unless you have a license.

And more importantly, you can't do A/C work without also doing electrical work. Unless maybe you build a gas powered air conditioner....

It's funny you say that. The guy that used to own my shop building is an electrician. He owns his own commercial electrical contracting business. He did all the electrical in the building himself, and did a terrible job. Some things very unsafe, and not even close to meeting code. The main service cable is undersized, for example.

My point? That little license from the govt doesn't give somebody magical powers.
All you say is true . All I said is true .

Knowledge is the big part . And the will to do a good job and a safe job .

But many / most DIY'er lack the knowledge . And , maybe the will ?

On A/C / refrigeration , once you get the covers on , a poor job is rarely dangerous .

Now , gas / LP is a different matter .

I read a thread on a DIY forum where the OP lost full voltage to a furnace , was only getting 80 VAC , instead of 120 VAC . So , he ran a new circuit to " the panel " . When he turnes stuff on , all kinds of stuff went bad . By his own admission , when he tested the voltage at the furnace , he got 277 VAC ! Which means he went to a 480 / 277 VAC panel . This guy had no clue and had no idea how close he was to meeting his maker . :-(

480 VAC is potentially very dangerous . I have seen it blow up in a very big / bad way ! :-(

And 277 VAC does not just hurt , it burns . :-(

240 VAC is no walk in the park either . Even if you go to earth ground , which is usually 120 VAC .

This is life safety . Not the same as a lot of DIY projects .

Please be safe out there . And please be safe when dealing with gas or LP .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WyrTwister For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (10-25-14)