View Single Post
Old 01-01-13, 07:24 PM   #49
SimpleManLance
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadb View Post
+1 on flue damper, fire bricks, and flue thermometer.

Flue temperature is very important. Too low = creosote buildup, too high = damage/fire (all that creosote buildup can ignite). I believe my thermometer has 150F - 400F marked as "Burn Zone".

If you have smoke coming out the chimney you aren't burning all the gases and you're getting creosote. If anything glows, or you hear a noise like a train and flames shoot out of your chimney, you're burning too hot. The thermometers are fairly cheap.

I agree with comments about most houses being drafty enough to bring in fresh air. Also the stove is not going to pull in your warm air. The hot air is rising up to your ceiling. The stove will pull in cold air from the floor.

Just my two cents. Wood is all I heat with, other than a baseboard heater in my bathroom and my one in my son's room to keep him comfortable.
I also heat with wood 99% of the time. As long as its above 45* I'm burning wood in our wood furnace. here is the gauge i use. I try to keep it in the orange, its about 18" off the back of the stove.

I would recommend a out side air intake. If the wood burner is sucking in cold air from the floor it still has to replace that air with outside cold air.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimpleManLance For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-02-13), Kip (01-01-13)