View Single Post
Old 02-19-13, 04:08 PM   #5
mikek
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Solar radiant heating can be done, but solar heating actually comes uner the heading, 'Low Temperature Heating'. You can do it but to make it really successful, you will need to plan for it carefully. Many radiant installations use rules of thumb that were developed for high temperature heating, and suggest tube spacings and pumping rates expecting water heated to 140 F to 160 F, and when solar heated water is then used, it can be under-whelming.
OK, good to know. Based on whether or not it was feasible, these were going to be my next questions.

Quote:
There's a product called Roth Panel that is very high efficiency and it includes foam insulation in its manufacture, that is part of the product. This product is expensive, but for your situation, and since your basement isn't too big, it would be a very good match... even for solar.
I assume the R value of these panels is a lot more per inch than I could get with sheet insulation?

Is there some formula I could run to figure out how much heat I'd be losing to the ground versus what I'd be putting into the room? I don't mind making bigger solar collectors, the heat is pretty much free compared to making it with LP.

Quote:
Engineered wood would (snap-lock) be pretty good, cork would be self-defeating, since it is a good insulator.
Is it that much more insulating than other wood type products? Just curious.

Thanks for the reply!
mike
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote