View Single Post
Old 02-19-13, 01:20 AM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
...Ideally, the heat would come from solar water panels, but that's a future project...
Solar radiant heating can be done, but solar heating actually comes uner the heading, 'Low Temperature Heating'. You can do it but to make it really successful, you will need to plan for it carefully. Many radiant installations use rules of thumb that were developed for high temperature heating, and suggest tube spacings and pumping rates expecting water heated to 140 F to 160 F, and when solar heated water is then used, it can be under-whelming.

Quote:
Anyway, the basement is currently got an uninsulated concrete slab and is constructed out of wood (2x6 on 12" centers). I plan to insulate the walls (trying to decide if I should have it done with spray foam or use fiberglass, again another post!)
There's a product called Roth Panel that is very high efficiency and it includes foam insulation in its manufacture, that is part of the product. This product is expensive, but for your situation, and since your basement isn't too big, it would be a very good match... even for solar.

Quote:
...(likely an engineered floor, cork maybe?)...
Engineered wood would (snap-lock) be pretty good, cork would be self-defeating, since it is a good insulator. Any floor containing vinyl (PVC) should be strictly avoided as it will out-gas, especially with radiant heat. Read up on the hazards of Vinyl (PVC). It'll make you shudder.

I was in a floor covering store the other day and the sales guy was pushing "High Quality Vinyl" flooring. I asked him if it contained PVC, and he turned white as a sheet and backed up a step and said, "This stuff is not green." Even the sales people know this stuff is a hazard... but they will sell it to you.

Insulate, insulate, insulate...

Good Luck,

-AC