View Single Post
Old 05-30-11, 09:52 AM   #50
boardom
Lurking Renovator

Silver,

Not sure if you were replying to the post I just put up, but I wouldn't define what the CCHRC folks are working in Alaska as 'extremes'. They live in an extreme climate, and building a 2x4 wall is just ridiculous.

The two techniques I referenced are both configurable to your climate zone, with a house in alaska taking a good 12-16" of cellulose, whereas the same house in toronto could be brought down to say 8".

The important part of the the two techniques is in the method which they create a solid air barrier around the shell of the house. Both methods create a simple to detail complete air barrier, that is protected from the thermal swings, which should mean for a much longer laster building.

Find me a detail for a double stud wall that allows you to draw a line around the entire shell without any zigzagging... It's a difficult problem.

Most of the people building these 'extreme' houses, are doing so based on cost calculations, while also anticipating higher fuel prices in the coming years. To be honest, some people just prefer to spend money on saving energy and comfort, than on something like a granite countertop. Funny how no one ever brings up the ROI on things like that.
boardom is offline   Reply With Quote