View Single Post
Old 05-03-11, 11:31 AM   #41
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I'd imagine that a 12" SIP made with lower cost materials might have a lower insulating density, especially if it is one of the 'wood on both sides' ones. Since cost is an important factor and if I were building a new home it would be custom, I wouldn't mind a 12" thick wall as long as the interior dimensions are the size I want them to be. I'm not sure if Ecosteel's products are cost effective or not but if they are, that would be my choice.

Having a whole wall performance of R-14 with the air sealing benefits that are built into a solution like this would dramatically improve my R-11 batts in my 2x4 stick frame that I currently have. I'm more and more convinced by the day that if I move from my current house, it will need to be a new one. I'll also have to be sure that they don't install energy star windows on the Southern side of the house, in Minnesota the low-E glass needed to reach the standard raises the heating costs more than what the gain would be from reduced cooling costs, but I'll be sure it has excellent insulating value and would probably use window film during the summer and remove it in the fall to cover the low-E needs.

Another consideration for pre-fab is that the building codes need to be met where you live and sometimes it becomes a challenge when the building inspector comes. I used to work with someone who had a 4-section house built for him and trucked in from the west coast and the building inspector required multiple visits and written documentation from a local architect that the building was sound under our codes for weather conditions such as snow loading, foundation codes, and tornado/wind type stuff. Once his house was built it took about a month to go through the mess. If possible find a company local to where you are building as they will be most familiar with the building inspection requirements. I hear it is hard enough to deal with new construction issues as it is.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote