View Single Post
Old 04-30-16, 09:52 AM   #7
pghdave
Lurking Renovator

I like the idea of a separate system for solar heat and have thought about that never heard of a drain back system though it sounds interesting. the only thing keeping me from a separate system is the water is 50 foot down which would require running my submersible more or a second submersible to get the water to the collector. This is why I thought I could divert some of the return water when needed through a collector. Heating the water in the summer might happen because when the pool gets above 88 degrees from being used as a heat sink for the heat pump I am going to switch back to well for a heat sink.

I have not attempted cooling the house with the well as of yet and will find out if it works as well as it did in the heat mode. If it overheats the well water I still have my pool to transfer the load to giving it a chance to recover.

I have an 18 foot round pool by 4 foot it worked pretty well although I have found when the water in the pool gets to warm the heat pump does not work as well that's what is going to make the well more useful being able to switch between the two heat sinks.

This well is strictly for the heat pumps and adding water to the pool. Really is amazing to take the cover off the well and see the amount of effort taken a 100 years ago to dig a well by hand for drinking water. Who would have thought 100 years ago that their well could be used to heat the house.
pghdave is offline   Reply With Quote