View Single Post
Old 04-30-16, 08:34 AM   #5
pghdave
Lurking Renovator

I appreciate all suggestions offered.

The water heater idea was to make what I had to work with keep running when water temperatures began to get to low. I believe it draws about 1500 watts same as a small space heater. The sacrifice in efficiency was worth keeping the larger system operational to see if it could support heating the whole house for the winter.

I agree I need a better system and have thought about a small solar collector above the well problem being there is no glycol in this system. I thought about a temp sensor in the solar collector to only allow water to be diverted when temp is above a certain level and gravity would drain collector when heat pumps are off there by eliminating any water freezing in collector. I have never done anything with solar but I have never done any Geothermal before this either.

My other thought was a smaller ground loop in conjunction with the well loop. I have not seen anyone with this approach seems like it would work though. I know I need at least 43 degree water for the system to operate.

It's refreshing to find a site with so much knowledge and others interested in helping find solutions.

Thank you Jeff Seems I'm going to learn a lot from this site
pghdave is offline   Reply With Quote