View Single Post
Old 10-30-12, 12:56 AM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The master plan View Post
Well, I bought it but have to run back and get it with a trailer.
Can't believe the draw...28 amps! What would running amps average?

Any input or ideas?
That is maximum amps... my guess for running watts would be around 7000 watts or less. I'm just guessing that the COP is 2 (very pessimistic guess) so...

4 Tons = 48000 BTU/hr / 3.421 = 14068 watts

So COP 2 would require half that much power or 7034 watts or there abouts.

I figure a pessimistic guess like that would only make you happy, when your results turn out better than my numbers.

If I were you, I would ask randen what he calculated for when he put in his loop field. He know more about the relationship between slinky trench length and Tonage. And, if I'm not mistaken, he lives in a northerly lattitude similar yours.

But, my unseasoned intuition would make me guess that your trench will give you about a Ton, or 12,000 BTU per hour.

If you try to run an over-sized compressor on an undersized loop field, you run a serious risk of freezing your loop fluid, and cracking your heat exchanger. I did that very thing, on a very small scale, so I know it to be true. I was sitting right there when it happened, so I shut the compressor down before any damage was done. If you do try it, make sure you closely monitor the temperature of the water coming OUT of your HX, as that is where the trouble will begin.

The heat moves into the loop field fluid pretty slowly, so you need a lot of pipe to get the amount of heat you want.

Maybe that A/C unit you mentioned could make a good starter unit... like you said, cap the 4 Ton unit off, til you're sure your loop field is properly-sized.

Best,

-AC