View Single Post
Old 10-27-12, 11:49 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The master plan View Post
I am going to go and look at a used Geo thermo heat pump tomorrow... Anything I should be on the look-out for?
It's really a pig-in-a-poke. I'm sure it's 220V, so doing a quick test of the compressor would be pretty tough.

You'll have some control electronics there that need to work, so if you can see that part, look to see that it doesn't look like it got left out in the rain.

It would be real tough to test that out, too.

Quote:
I know it may be old but where else can you get a working geothermo heat pump for $200??
Yep, it's a find. And a super find if it works. I don't know about you, but I consider a $200 investment to be tuition in a very interesting school. Even if you can't get the beast to work, you will learn a huge amount by trying to get it going. You will have aquired way more than $200 bucks worth of knowledge.

Quote:
My loop temp there got to a low of 38F last winter...it is 56F right now with nothing hooked up to it. 1200ft of pipe in the ground as a slinky coil.
Was that just ground temperature, without extracting any heat energy?

That sounds pretty darn cold...

Quote:
I could try it out in the house this winter by drawing water out of a heated tank, 800gal...how high of heat could one of these stand for the input side? Up to 80F or more?

I'd say 80F would be safe. Are you planning to use solar to heat the tank?

[I misread your question when I posted this, I thought you were asking what kind of heat could you get from your heat pump, so I answered it that way.].

Well, your possible maximum temperature out will be going down, the longer you run your test, because the heat energy in your water tank will be going down... but the heat of the lines in your air-handler it should be able to get above 120F.

The air from your air handler will be in the 80ish to 90ish degree F range.

What is the length and depth of your slinky trench?

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-27-12 at 11:56 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote