View Single Post
Old 09-06-11, 07:14 AM   #9
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Re: Ryland's remarks about electricians refusing to install electric tankless heaters. Sunday morning I spoke briefly with the Parish Secretary about the water heater, and she told me that she's noticed that the hydro bills for the Hall are virtually nil. Also, interestingly enough, she told me that she got competing quotes from two local plumbing/mechanical companies, and they both insisted on quoting on 40 gallon tanks, despite her request for a small heater and timer, they ignored the timer entirely. I think that if the project had fallen into someone elses lap we would have wound up with the larger tank and utility bill. It makes me wonder how many missed opportunities happen out there, I think that we have plenty of technologically smart choices, we just have to open our eyes and minds to see them. (There's my soapbox fix for the week!)
Just a footnote to my choice of timer; the battery backup feature of the INTERMATIC timer I chose is critical to the success of the project. Here in Penetanguishene we are subject to frequent power interuptions, mostly because of geography, we are on the SE shore of Georgian Bay, east side of Lake Huron, and summer thunderstorms and winter snowsqualls roll off the bay on a very regular basis, and I did not want to be constantly resetting the timer. I realize that there are less expesive mechanical timers out there, but they lose time when the power is off.
herlichka is offline   Reply With Quote